If you have protruded or misshapen ears due to a birth defect or injury and would like to correct their appearance, ear surgery or “otoplasty” may be an ideal option for you. Generally, ear surgery is a safe procedure that is done for children and adults, ensuring good results.
Otoplasty can reshape the structure of your ears, bring balance and proportion to the ears, and give a natural appearance.
Table of contents
- What is ear surgery?
- Who is a good candidate for ear surgery?
- Pre-operative instructions for ear surgery
- How ear surgery is done?
- Post-operative instructions for ear surgery
- Cosmetic ear surgery side effects
- How much does ear surgery cost in Turkey?
What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery or otoplasty is a plastic procedure that aims to improve ear appearance by correcting its shape, position, and proportion. It is done under general or local anesthesia and can correct birth abnormalities or damage to the ear’s structure.
Ear surgery is a powerful solution to macrotia; the medical condition in which the ear is overly large and protruding ears.
Who is a good candidate for ear surgery?
The right candidate for ear surgery should be:
- Over 5 years old, and his/her ears are grown and developed completely.
- In good public health, and does not suffer from certain diseases, which might hinder the operation.
- The right candidate should not have chronic ear infections.
- Has protruded ears and wants to correct them.
- Dissatisfied with the ear shape and wants to improve its contour.
Pre-operative instructions for ear surgery
The success of your operation depends on how you prepare yourself for it. These are some important tips you should follow before the operation:
- Stop smoking for two weeks before the operation to ensure fast healing.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing on the day of the surgery.
- Avoid taking medicines, such as aspirin, ibuprofen combinations, anti-inflammatory, or Vitamin E, for 2 weeks before the operation.
- Stop drinking alcohol or coffee for a week before the operation to avoid any risk of complications.
- Don’t eat or drink the night before the surgery.
How ear surgery is done?
Typically, ear surgery takes 1 to 2 hours depending on the ear situation. The procedure involves the following steps:
- The patient might receive either local or general anesthesia. The doctor chooses the appropriate anesthesia for the patient to make sure that he will sleep deeply during the operation.
- The surgeon makes a small incision behind the ear, which allows access to the cartilage of the ear, which is the main part of the ear.
- Next, to reshape the ear, the surgeon may cut a small piece of cartilage. In some cases, it may need no incision, the cartilage just is stitched and adjusted.
- Finally, the incision is closed with dissolvable stitches.
Post-operative instructions for ear surgery
After the operation, you should follow some tips to help you heal quickly and maintain your results.
- Wear a bandage or dressing to keep the area clean and protect it from trauma.
- Take your medication prescribed by your doctor to help release your pain.
- Avoid sunlight or tanning during the period of healing.
- Children can return to school after 1 to 2 weeks after the operation.
- Give yourself 2 weeks before going back to your daily activity.
- You should wait 12 weeks before doing any strenuous activity, such as exercise.
- Avoid swimming for 4 to 6 weeks after the operation.
- Keep avoiding aspirin and any blood-thinner product which might lead to bleeding after the operation.
Cosmetic ear surgery side effects
Ear surgery or otoplasty might be associated with some risks:
- Scars might be permanent but hidden within or behind your ears.
- Asymmetric ears.
- Temporary changes in skin sensation around the ear.
- Overcorrected ears that pinned back extremely.
How much does ear surgery cost in Turkey?
The cosmetic ear surgery cost might vary from patient to patient depending on his ear situation. Generally, the average cost of ear surgery in Turkey is around $1700.